“We don’t want you here…go back to India. You, curry-assed people, are ruining this country.” a Mexican- American woman in Dallas, Texas berated four Indian women outside of a restaurant on August 24, 2022, to which they asked why are you speaking to us like that, and she replied again, “Because I don’t like Indians, that’s why.”
Another disturbing incident happened on Sept 24, 2022, when a young Sikh man studying at the University of North Carolina was allegedly arrested for wearing a kirpan.
Such incidents of hate crimes and racism have increased a lot in recent years and so have the concerns of Indian and Asian students who dream of studying in the USA and their parents are especially bothered about the safety and security of their children. But, fret not, because we at Dream Medicine Educon Pvt. Ltd. has your back. Our team has curated some pros and cons below, which will help you decide whether the USA is the right choice for your career growth.
Pros of living and studying in the USA for Indian students-
- A renowned personality like Mr. Sunder Pichai opted to study his grad program in the US. Statistically speaking, 78% of the students are Indians in STEM, 11% in Business and Management, 3% in Social Sciences, and 8% in others. So, it is safe to say that Indian students are Silicon Valley superheroes.
- There are several scholarships available for Indian students to study in the USA. Government-funded scholarships, Private scholarships, university scholarships, and program-specific scholarships. Some of them are the Tata-Cornell scholarship, SelfScore International Student Scholarship, Global Students Scholarship, and Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program.
- Safety issues are a major concern when planning to study in a foreign country. Despite what you watch on social media and news channels, Universities and College campuses are usually safe for students. The authorities take measures to prevent threats such as racist behavior among students and teachers. You’ll find CCTV cameras in every nook and corner. As a student, you can also be in touch with the Indian embassy in case of any emergencies.
- International student ID and Visa also helps the student to gain discounts and affordable deals in case of accommodation and travel expenses. Many campuses offer hostels and dorm facilities included in the tuition fees for international students.
- Opportunities to earn while learning or part-time jobs are a great way to boost your resume and meet your day-to-day expenses. The local cafes, restaurants, and libraries around the campus provide job offers to international students easily which will help in gaining real-life experiences.
- India is predicted to have the largest number of college-going students by 2025. If we ignore the last two years of a global pandemic, the USA has always been the top choice to study abroad by Indian students, preceded by the UK and Canada.
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), there will be a 10-15% increase in employment for international students in medical sciences, business management, and engineering.
- During the pandemic period, the US education system made significant changes in the health care, safety, and general well-being of international students.
- The majority of US education institutes have started offering complete online pre-admission processes and immigration documentation for international students.
Cons of living and studying in the USA for Indian students-
- The cost of living and general expenses are too high compared to studying in a domestic country.
- The taste and food preferences of Indians are quite varied. So, Indian students may find it difficult to adjust to western culture.
- The adventure of exploring a new place may fade out with time and you might find yourself pressured by academic commitments.
So, now you can decide for yourself if the USA is safe for a student. Personally, I think it definitely is. However, if you still can’t make up your mind or have any queries regarding your stay abroad, you’re welcome to contact our team at Dream Medicine Educon or you can comment down below. We’ll be happy to help anytime. All the best!