Master of Legislative Law (LLM) is a Post Graduation(PG) degree in law. The duration of the LLM course is two years. Master of Legislative Law course divided into Four semesters. This course is structured in a good process so that students will get detailed information & knowledge about legal practices. This course provides an overview of legal affairs and all the aspects of different law programs. Lawyers are also known as the future lawmakers of the nation so it is very important that they have detailed knowledge about the constitution & law and skills that help them. After Aspirants completed the LLM course, law graduates are rewarded with career opportunities in various sectors such as Lawyers, Legal consultants, Indian Legal Services, Advisors, solicitors, Legal Writers, and many more. Master of Legislative Laws provides several specializations such as International Law, Corporate Law, Business Law, Criminal Law, etc. Not only specialized law practice, but this course also imparts the host country's legal training to foreign lawyers. It helps practicing lawyers switch nationals easily and work as international lawyers of any particular country.
LLM course At A Glance:
Master of Legislative Law
Students must pursue a Bachelor's Degree from a recognized university with a minimum aggregate of 55% and 50% for reserved categories.
Entrance Exam or Direct Admission
Litigation Firms, Colleges & Universities
Corporate Houses (legal departments)
Research Dept., Law Firms, Courtrooms Arbitration Consultancies
Eligibility Criteria for LLM:
- Candidates are eligible to apply for admission in an LLM course if they have completed their graduation in LLB or LAW from a recognized University.
- some colleges also fix a minimum percentage requirement for the LLM course offered by them.
- As part of the eligibility criteria shared by such colleges, candidates need secure at least 55% aggregate marks at the graduation level in order to be eligible to secure admission in the LLM course offered by them.
- There is no age limit for admission to LLM.
LLM Entrance Exams:
- Common Law Admission Test (CLAT)
- All India Law Entrance Test
- LSAT India
- TS PGLCET
- AP PGLCET
- MH CET Law
- ILI CAT
LLM course Jobs and Career scope:
After completing a Master of Legislative Law LLM course, students can opt for further studies, they study MPhil or Ph.D. in Law. However, if candidates want to make a bright career in law then they can go through the following job profiles. Students are informed that in order to practice law in India they must need to clear the All India Bar Exam (AIBE) it is necessary for them.
Advocate: In such a job profile one needs to do a lot of research work to gather factual data & and investigation reports as well as physical evidence to support their claim. Besides this, many other different responsibilities assigned to advocates involve scrutinizing and drafting contracts. Advocate jobs is a very reputed and responsible job in India.
Solicitor General: In this job aspirants usually specialises in a specific field of law like tax, litigation, family, or property. Solicitors provide legal advice to commercial as well as private clients. Solicitor jobs are one of the highest-paying jobs in India.
Judge: A judge is a very reputed & responsible person in law because A judge has to ensure that justice is administered and the legal rights of all the involved parties are safeguarded. A judge presides over trials/ hearings wherein they listen to the case presented by lawyers and take decisions according to facts & Evidence.
Legal Advisor: Candidates opting to work in such a job profile are also lawyers who specialize in a particular branch of law. Legal advisors are generally hired by governments as well as large firms, organizations, and companies. The main aim of a Legal Advisor is to protect their clients from any legal implication or consequence.
Notary: Central government hired expert, experienced & professional Notary for the whole or particular part of the country. Every student who has been practicing law (as a lawyer) for a minimum of ten years is eligible to apply for a notary post. A Notary offers many works like verifying, authenticating, certifying, or attesting the execution of any instrument and also transferring and verifying any documents from one language to another.
Oath Commissioners: Oath Commissioners' main goal is to verify affidavits. An Oath Commissioner is appointed by the Chief Justice of particular courts and is usually a solicitor. Apart from this the Oath Commissioner also ensures the evidence is in written form and Makes a person swear that the affidavit is correct by raising the appropriate testament in the correct & responsible hands and repeating the words of the oath.
Advantages of L.L.M.
- A Student with a Master's degree in law get good salaries from different sectors. Law postgraduates have more knowledge & information about law & rule. IPC & CRPC have many clauses so it's not easy to remember them. That's why LLM degree holders are in great demand by many big companies & organizations.
- The Indian Constitution is the largest written constitution in the world. It's not easy to remember all the laws, articles, parts, and clauses. The more a student studies the more knowledge they will acquire in the field of law so if a student studies PG in law they gain a lot of knowledge.
- Doing a Master of Legislative Law (LLM) course will help students boost their research skills, information, and knowledge. Being able to research the case is one of the crucial skill sets in several areas of law. LLM provides Sharpen research skills in the students.
- Pursuing an L.L.M. degree can also provide you with international experience in different Abroad law organizations. Many different law-related competitions are organized at a world scale and it can ultimately help students to increase their contacts as well. LLM graduates visit many beautiful countries in the world for their work and to experience new cultures & civilizations.
Popular LLM Colleges In India
Below is some of the top government & private law colleges in India:
Popular Private LLM Colleges:
Jindal Global Law School, Sonipat Haryana.
Symbiosis Law School (SLS), Pune
School of Law, Christ University (SLCU), Bangalore.
Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University New Law College, Pune.
MS Ramaiah College of Law, Bangalore.
Dr. BR Ambedkar Law College, Hyderabad.
School of Law GITAM University, Visakhapatnam
Lovely Professional University (LPU), Punjab.
Yashwantrao Chavan Law College (YCLC), Pune.
Manipal University, Jaipur.
Popular Government LLM Colleges:
- Faculty of the Law University of Delhi (DU), New Delhi.
- National Law School of India University(NLSIU), Bangalore.
- National Law University(NLU), NEW Delhi.
- NALSAR University of Law(NLU), Hyderabad.
- Maharashtra National Law University(MNLU), Mumbai.
- The Tamilnadu Dr. Ambedkar Law University(TNDALU), Chennai.
- Indian Law Society Law College(ILS), Pune.
- Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi.
- National Law Institute University(NLIU), Bhopal.
Study LLM Abroad
Pursuing a Master of Law (LLM) abroad offers students an opportunity to develop several skills and explore different aspects of human life. Graduate students looking to pursue an LLM degree are required to have completed their LLB and are advised to have the best understanding of the law to pursue further studies. Studying a master of law (LLM) abroad would provide students an opportunity to sharpen their minds, strengthen their understanding and deepen their experience across a full range of humanities and social sciences. Law graduates complete both breadth of understanding and depth in the fields that interest them the most.
Indian students who are planning to study abroad would be required to have an LLB degree from a recognized University to pursue LLM abroad. Once students have successfully completed their graduation UG in law they would be able to find employment as LLM being a professional course is extremely sought after by major law firms & organizations, who are always looking out to hire raw talent or budding lawyers.
Popular LLM Colleges Abroad:
- Harvard University, USA
- University of Oxford, the UK
- University of Cambridge, UK
- Yale university, USA
- Stanford University, USA
- London School of Economics, UK
- University of California, USA
- Columbia University, USA
- University Of Melbourne, Australia.
An LLM degree is very important for UG graduate students because this degree provides more information & knowledge. LLM holders receive many job opportunities in several law fields with good salaries. Students work as Lawyers, Judges, Attorney Generals, Legal advisors, notaries, Solicitor generals, etc. These professions have a very good & reputed image in society. Judges have very powerful personalities and they have the responsibility for running the law according to the Indian constitution. If the Government does not work properly, the Supreme Court has the authority to ask questions to the government. LLM graduates have higher job scopes compared to LLB graduates owing to their information & knowledge. LLM graduates are bound to have more stabilized job opportunities compared to LLB degree holders. Having an LLM degree with strong technical skills & good knowledge can bring several best job opportunities across the world. A good lawyer with good knowledge & experience earns a very handsome salary.